I've literally been eating this recipe all of my life. One grandmother called them dough babies and the other grandmother called them rivels. For me it didn't matter what you call them, I loved those chewy pieces of dough. Yum! I hope you'll enjoy it too.
Navy beans, ham & dough babies
- 1 lb dried navy beans
- (4) 32oz chicken broth
- 1 lb baby carrots, chopped small
- 1 bunch of celery, trimmed and chopped small
- 2 lbs ham, cubed
- 1 lg onion, chopped small
- 3 Tbsp dried parsley
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 bullion cubes
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
1. Place beans in a large soup pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.
2. Turn off heat, cover and let stand 60 mins.
3. Rinse beans, sorting out the bad ones.
4. Repeat steps 1-3.
5. Combine, beans, chicken broth, celery, carrots, onion and ham in large pot and let simmer 4 hours.
6. Bring soup to a gentle boil.
7. Combine dough baby ingredients.
8. Drop small pieces of dough into soup and let gently boil for 20 minutes.
9. Serve and enjoy!!!